Sunday, November 1, 2009

Michael Wesch's The Machine is Changing Us

Do You believe social networking avilability on the internet is changing you? Watch M. Wesch Presentation and see what you think?

This was yet again a very interesting aspect to consideration of technology and its effects on society. I am not a major social networker not like some of the people being discussed in this presentation. I do use Facebook and through this class have signed up for several other networking sites, however I do not as an average person have time to utilize all of these social sites as well as continue personal relationships with individuals. Manning these sites can prove very time consuming as anyone who has a social networking account can attest too. I enjoy having the option to connect with friends that I do not have a lot of time to usually speak with, but I am not able to communicate on such a wide variety of sites and stay on task with my everyday activities.

I do believe that the availability of social sites as recreational use are wonderful, however, I do think as with any activity that a certain amount of restraint is necessary. Of course some of these sites are wonderful to have as an option for teaching in the classroom. I fear though that some people who cannot control their behavior will eventually reduce the options of which sites may be utilized. It is very true that we as a society are becoming less capable of social interaction due to increased technological advancements that encourage a more individualized approach to communication. I still prefer one on one interaction for the most part, though I can understand the allure of communicating without having to leave your house or actually speak directly with a person.

Is this type of communication causing us to internalize our intrapersonal behavior with a more interpersonal approach? Quite possibly yes. If a human is given the option to communicate without the confrontations of some human interactions, of course why wouldn't they choose that option? Also when verbal communication face to face becomes too hostile again why not use the comfort of a computer, cell phone texting, messaging system, etc. to communicate your feelings without facing the consequences as severely. Can we then be evaluating who we are through ourselves rather than through the sometimes restrictive and judgmental eyes of others? Where this discussion will lead us is very interesting indeed. It may very well change the way teachers relate to students as the next generation of students develop personal skills.

1 comment:

  1. Angel, I completely agree with you! I do not have the time to check my networking sites daily or have more than one that I check regularly. It takes tons of time, not including all of the other things that I have to do daily.

    ReplyDelete