Saturday, August 22, 2009

Why can't students be creative and intelligent?

Source-Personal Camera
Sir Ken Robinson made many points I agree with in his lecture called “The Importance of Creativity,” and I highly recommend everyone view his lecture, or read one of his books. He is not only highly enjoyable to watch, and very personable, but I believe he will challenge them to rethink their idea of our education system. The ironic aspect to his message is, as an education major myself, I fully agree with his interpretation of the education system being that students are discouraged to be creative, unless they are in an arts related class. In my education there have been few teachers or professors to applaud any level of individuality seeming it easier for them to lump us all into a bucket and pour us out the same.
As an educator I hope to be the type of teacher who as Sir Ken stated, helps to develop the whole person. No matter what area of education I teach, I hope to find ways to encourage each student’s abilities not only mentally but creatively. For I understand as an adult student, information is forgotten, but passion will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment